Women hang on against Villanova

Millions flocked to D.C. this week, took in the revelry and left with memories to last a lifetime. Don’t count the Villanova Wildcats among them.

Unable to get a hotel amid the mass migration to the capital, the team had to drive to GW the afternoon of the game. Only a few hours later, the Colonials edged their Big East guests 67-60 at Smith Center Wednesday night, leaving the visitors with plenty to think about on their post-game bus ride home to Philadelphia.

In a game of wildly divergent halves – the teams combined for 35 points in the first half and 92 in the second – the Colonials (10-8, 2-1 Atlantic 10) were able to emerge with a victory in their nonconference finale and extend their winning streak to three.

The game was promoted as “Pack the House” night, a gimmick aimed at boosting attendance and creating an intimidating atmosphere for the visiting team. Official figures reported 589 fans in the stands, with the bleachers being only sparsely occupied at the game’s onset.

But the lack of support did not deter the team, head coach Mike Bozeman said – especially considering the circumstances.

“I think with all the excitement in Washington, D.C., yesterday, somebody needs a break,” he said. “I’ll forgive the fans for that one, but they owe me one.”

Those in attendance were treated to a tight game, one that opened with Villanova missing 16 of their first 19 shot attempts, 12 of which were from beyond the arc. The Colonials out-rebounded the Wildcats 22 to 12 before halftime, dictating the pace of the game and appearing to be firmly in control at the break.

“I think we did a great job defensively in the first half – and we kind of forgot about the offense,” Bozeman said with a chuckle.

It didn’t take very long for Villanova to change the nature of the game, draining consecutive three-pointers from opposite corners to cut GW’s lead to two and prompt Bozeman to call timeout.

When play resumed, the Wildcats were able to force a turnover and score in transition, beginning a flurry of scoring in which each team seemed to counter the other’s seizure of momentum instantaneously.

Using a bevy of screens in an offense Bozeman described as “perpetual motion,” Villanova was able to quickly knot the score with 16 minutes remaining in the game. Their movement continued to cause trouble for the Colonials’ defense as the second half wore on, with Villanova’s Laura Kurz leading the way with a game-high 29 points.

“I think they do everything with a screen except cook it,” Bozeman joked. “They’re very good at that, very well-schooled.”

At times it seemed like Kurz couldn’t miss, making her first six second-half shots and eventually finishing 9-of-11 in the period. She gave the Wildcats their first lead of the game with just over seven minutes to go, banking a three-point shot off the glass and appearing to give a slight shrug in response to her unconventional style.

But the Colonials were able to reassert control down the stretch, going from simply matching Villanova to overtaking them. With GW up three and less than two minutes to go, senior Jessica Adair scored while being fouled and converted the ensuing free throw to give the Colonials a two-possession lead.

On the other end of the floor, senior Antelia Parrish grabbed a defensive rebound and was fouled. Parrish, who led GW with 14 points and seven rebounds, hit both free throws to cushion the Colonials’ lead and all but seal the victory.

Now GW will return to the conference slate of its schedule, hosting Duquesne Saturday at Smith Center. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.