Officer testifies at hearing for alleged stalker of alumna

A police officer testified last week at a hearing for a former GW student charged with stalking an alumna.

Chris Gauss, 21, allegedly transmitted more than 1,000 harassing e-mails and several voicemails to a 2008 graduate after she asked him not to contact her, said Metropolitan Police Department officer Jose Nieves-Campos, who testified at the hearing.

The alleged victim, whose name is being withheld because of privacy concerns, filed for a restraining order against Gauss on Jan. 6, the date of the last e-mail. Gauss was also arrested twice last month for unlawfully entering two GW buildings.

Nieves-Campos read several of the e-mails out loud, including messages like “Help me baby, I hate what I’ve become . now I am fearless and completely evil,” and “If I could kill every person on earth except you, I would.”

The prosecution has not yet determined the e-mail address actually belonged to Gauss. Gauss has been charged with one count of stalking and three counts of attempted threats to do bodily harm, a misdemeanor.

Gauss’s attorney, Seth Schrager, said in court that the e-mails were professions of love, not threats.

“It’s a threat to everyone else in the world, but not to [the victim],” he said.

Gauss will appear in court for pretrial proceedings on Jan. 28.