Foggy Bottom bars seek extended inauguration hours

More than 200 bars, restaurants and nightclubs have registered with the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration to extend their hours and alcohol service during inauguration weekend, but some popular Foggy Bottom establishments still do not know if they will be permitted.

While Lindy’s, TGI Friday’s and The 51st State are among the 129 venues in the area allowed to stay open late, other businesses near GW are prevented from operating 24 hours and serving alcohol until 4 a.m. due to voluntary agreements with the Advisory Neighborhood Commission to limit hours.

ANC 2A Chairman Asher Corson said there will be a special ANC meeting Monday to determine if establishments with voluntary agreements will be granted permission from the ANC to operate with extended hours.

Corson said four establishments with voluntary agreements had contacted the ANC seeking to extend their hours: Shadow Room, Notti Bianche, McFadden’s Restaurant and Saloon and Marshall’s Bar & Grille. Each is required to submit a letter to ABRA from the ANC by Jan. 15 at 1 p.m.

At the last ANC meeting, Swaptak Das, president and CEO of Shadow Room, was the only representative of an establishment with a voluntary agreement to ask for permission to extend hours.

The ANC never voted on Das’ petition because a commissioner said she and the public had not been given advance notice.

Last month Notti Bianche General Manager William Roulidis said the restaurant – which is part of the GW Inn – would not extend its hours. But it is now attempting to stay open longer from Jan. 18 to Jan. 20, despite having a voluntary agreement.

“Our hotel is booked, and we’ll have guests coming back late Tuesday night. We think they’ll be hungry – we’ll sell food until 2 a.m., have the bar open until 4 a.m.,” Roulidis said.

Roulidis said Notti Bianche is “fully confident” it will be approved by the ANC to extend its hours.

Marshall’s manager Rob Grade said Friday that the restaurant was not sure if it would extend its hours. A McFadden’s manager could not be reached for comment.

Tonic will not attempt to expand its hours, a spokesman said.