Anything but Starbucks: where to get coffee off campus

Gelman may have its own Starbucks, but after experiencing it during the hustle and bustle of last semester’s finals you might want to steer clear. Here are other alternatives for those who need caffeine and a study fix in one:

WHAT: Illy Espresso Bar
WHERE: 1143 New Hampshire Ave. N.W. It’s near Dupont Circle.
WHO: The perfectionist. Illy’s espresso is probably the smoothest brew I’ve ever tasted.
WHEN: You need a burst of energy and a quick study break. Illy is a true espresso “bar” so unless you would like to observe the businessmen in the Renaissance Hotel lobby, it’s best to grab and go.
ORDER: The cappuccino.

WHAT: Tryst
WHERE: 2459 18th St. N.W., in Adams Morgan.
WHO: The people-watcher. Families, cute couples and Boho baristas are aplenty at Tryst.
WHEN: You have a book to read. Tryst’s comfy couches and relaxed atmosphere will keep you calm and focused.
ORDER: The mocha was a perfect blend of bitter espresso with rich dark chocolate. Plus they give you adorable animal crackers to dip in your drink!

WHAT: Caribou Coffee
WHERE: 1701 Pennsylvania Ave., near the White House.
WHO: The holiday hoarder. For those who can’t seem to get enough holiday spirit the lodge atmosphere – complete with cozy armchairs and a roaring fireplace – hits the spot.
WHEN: You have the marathon study session. Caribou’s consistent roasts will keep you awake and productive.
ORDER: Just for the fun – or embarrassment – of it, order the Fa-la-la Latte, (a.k.a a latte with eggnog instead of milk). If you’re opposed to nutmeg, the Hoho Mocha, a peppermint-white mocha, is equally as amusing and tasty.

WHAT: Casey’s Coffee
WHERE: 208 23rd St N.W., in Columbia Plaza.
WHO: The thrifty. Casey’s is cheap, takes GWorld and is slightly removed from campus.
WHEN: You have that massive paper to write. Casey’s waffles and chocolate yogurt loaf will keep you going.
ORDER: Casey’s keeps it pure and simple. Either order a steady espresso or a fresh fruit smoothie with all of the additives. And a waffle, of course!