Police investigate local bank robbery

Police are looking for a man who stole an undisclosed amount of money from a Bank of America near campus last Friday.

The male suspect walked into the Bank of America branch at 2001 Pennsylvania Ave. around 9:10 a.m., passed an employee a note demanding “all the large bills” and said he had a gun, according to a police report.

The man then walked out of the branch with less than $1,000, said Metropolitan Police Department Lt. William Farr.

“Unfortunately we were unable to get a good photo of him,” Farr wrote in an e-mail. “While in the bank, he kept his face away from the cameras.”

The police report described the suspect as a black male in his early 40s, about 6 feet 4 inches tall and around 250 pounds.

Managers at the bank, located just off campus across the street from the Baja Fresh restaurant on 20th and I streets, declined to comment on the incident.

The Nov. 28 incident was the third reported downtown bank robbery of the week. A SunTrust bank in Dupont Circle was robbed Nov. 24, and a man made off with cash from a PNC Bank near 14th and K streets before he was apprehended a short while later, according to the Washington Post. Farr said the suspect in the Bank of America robbery did not match the description of suspects in the other D.C. robberies last week.

Eight agents from the FBI responded to the scene, along with five MPD officers, according to the police report.

Farr said the FBI works in conjunction with MPD to solve bank robberies in the District. The two agencies are still investigating the incident and, as of Tuesday night, had made no arrests.

In cases like this, police use any available physical evidence and eyewitnesses to apprehend the suspect, Farr said.

He said, “We will look for evidence at the crime scene, such as fingerprints or DNA, and try to get a good description from the people who saw the suspect.”