Women’s basketball loses twice in three days

When GW women’s basketball coach Mike Bozeman stepped into the Smith Center’s interview room after the Colonials’ big win last Monday, even he seemed a little surprised at how well his team had played in only its second game of the year.

Bozeman got another surprise this weekend in Kentucky – but this one wasn’t as pleasant.

GW (2-2) couldn’t stay with either Western Kentucky or the University of Kentucky for 40 minutes this weekend, and fell to both the Hilltoppers and Wildcats. WKU beat GW 72-64 on Friday, while Kentucky stormed past GW on Sunday, 67-48.

“I came to Kentucky thinking I was going to get both games,” Bozeman said in a phone interview Sunday evening. “That’s not to disregard Western Kentucky or Kentucky. I just thought that talent-wise on paper, we were pretty capable of winning both of these games.

The Colonials opened their season last week with a pair of convincing wins over UMBC and Coppin State and saw offensive production come from all over the court. Freshmen Tiana Myers, Tara Booker and Kay-Kay Allums had been particularly effective against the Retrievers and the Eagles, and the Colonials’ appeared to be playing beyond their years in their first games. In Kentucky, however, GW’s freshmen played in their first away game – something that’s easier said than done.

Booker did shoot well against WKU – hitting three three-pointers en route to an 11-point game – but Myers and Allums made just two baskets on Friday and that trio shot just 3-of-14 from the floor against Kentucky.

“No doubt about it, it was their first road trip,” Bozeman said. “To have a road trip of this magnitude in this kind of environment, I definitely saw some growing pains in that regard.”

GW’s experience lies underneath the hoop in twins Jazmine and Jessica Adair. While those two combined for 25 points against the Hilltoppers, their inside play wasn’t enough to put the Colonials over the top in either game.

Senior Antelia Parrish had 13 points in each match-up and was one of the Colonials more consistent shooters, but Parrish and the Adairs – who usually account for most of GW’s rebounding – failed to make an impact on the boards in Kentucky. GW was out-rebounded in both games and had particular trouble on the glass against the Wildcats, where they were out-rebounded 44-28.

But while the Colonials certainly didn’t achieve their desired goal this weekend, there are only four games gone in what is a lengthy season. They’ve got plenty of time to bounce back. But in order to truly regain momentum, they’ll likely have to get back into the mindset they had coming into this weekend – one that says although they might be young, they can play with anyone.

GW’s next game will come Friday, Nov. 28, against South Alabama at the Smith Center.