Thanksgiving in the District

Web Extra

This Thanksgiving break, campus life will be slim to none.

Marvin Center is closed from Nov. 27 to Nov. 30 and the WoW Wingery and Ames Dining Hall are closed from Nov. 27 to Nov. 29. Besides the post-Thanksgiving dinner at the Ames Pub on Nov. 28, the University will be shut down over break and the Student Activities Center is not offering any Thanksgiving Day programs.

But students staying on campus this Thanksgiving should not despair over the loss of J Street or Grandma’s candied yams. Just look to the city to provide Thanksgiving festivities.

A traditional Thanksgiving dinner will not be lost on the foodies camping out here as a variety of restaurants in the area will be hosting Thanksgiving feasts of their own. Bistro Francais, located on M Street, will be offering a three-course turkey meal for lunch and dinner, at $19.00 and $26.00 respectively. In Georgetown, Clyde’s will be serving a traditional American Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings for $23.00, and on Florida Avenue, Commonwealth Gastropub will be offering a Thanksgiving roast beef and turkey meal for $25.00.

But before the ritual overeating begins, it might be a good idea to give thanks by giving back. There are a number of Thanksgiving-specific volunteering opportunities available in the areas surrounding Foggy Bottom during the break. So Others May Eat, a charitable organization, is holding its 7th annual 5K Thanksgiving Day Trot for Hunger in West Potomac Park. Food and Friends, an organization that allows volunteers to prepare and deliver food to men, women and children living with severe illnesses, is also offering special opportunities during this food-themed holiday.

Other events taking place include the Reston Center’s Annual Holiday Parade on Nov. 28. It is a post-Thanksgiving festivity similar to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Candlelit tours of Mount Vernon will be held starting November 28. The event will feature a Martha Washington impersonator and other actors. The impersonators will bring an 18th century holiday celebration to life.