A face-off between friends

The two-game, two-year series between GW and Binghamton is over and Karl Hobbs couldn’t be happier.

Hobbs bested former assistant and current Bearcats head coach Kevin Broadus in GW’s 71-57 win Wednesday night at the Smith Center, but his personal connection to his counterpart prevented him from savoring the outcome.

“The one thing that’s very uncomfortable is when you coach against close, close family friends,” Hobbs said. “It’s not a fun thing because even after you win the game, you still can’t really enjoy the win. I’m lucky we were able to just finally get this game over with, get this series over with.”

When Hobbs took the reigns of the Colonials in 2001, Broadus was one of the first hired to his staff. The program developed into a successful one during their time together in Foggy Bottom, as Broadus helped recruit a number of key players in GW’s eventual three-year streak of NCAA tournament appearances.

“The nice part is that, him being here at that time, he got the opportunity to help build it to where it was a few years ago,” Hobbs said, alluding to that mid-decade stretch of success. “He was a big part of that process.”

But Broadus had left by that point, taking an assistant position at Georgetown. He had to watch from a distance as his former recruits – Pops Mensah-Bonsu, J.R. Pinnock, Omar Williams – ran through an undefeated Atlantic 10 season on their way to a top-10 national ranking.

“I’ll never forget saying, ‘wow, did I make a mistake,’ ” Broadus said of his feelings at the time. “But you live and you learn and it all worked out for all of us.”

After reaching the Final Four with the Hoyas, Broadus landed the head gig at Binghamton prior to last season. At the same time, his former boss was desperately searching to put together an out-of-conference schedule. Enter the Bearcats, who had an opening in their nonconference slate. A home-and-home series between teacher and student was born.

“We were really struggling just finding someone to play last year,” Hobbs said. “He kind of played us as a favor.”

The disciple came out on top in the first meeting last winter as a fledgling Binghamton team pulled off the upset on its own court. It was difficult enough facing one another the first time around, Broadus said, but returning to his old stomping grounds Wednesday amplified the emotions.

“When I walked in, I just got caught up in the moment for a second,” he said. “I got caught up before the game – I couldn’t even talk to these guys. I had to walk out of the locker room.”

But eventually, whether Hobbs or Broadus wanted it or not, the game had to be played. The Colonials opened up a double-digit lead in the first half and maintained it throughout, cruising relatively comfortably to victory. Yet even when the outcome was essentially secured in GW’s favor, Broadus noticed the Colonials’ starters were still on the court – and he knew why.

“I looked at my assistants tonight with about three minutes to go and, they’ll tell you, I looked at them and said, ‘Ain’t this a you-know-what? He’s still got his starters in, but I love him to death,'” Broadus said. “He was sending a message to the student: ‘Don’t mess around with me.’ “

Last season’s 9-17 season put a stop to GW’s most recent glory days, but Broadus said he thinks that disappointment will prove to be short-lived. Having helped build the Colonials into contenders and watching them knock off his own club Wednesday, Broadus came to a firm conclusion.

“GW, they’re back,” he said. “I say that with confidence: They’re back.”