GW storms past UMBC, 75-56

Saturday, Nov. 15

“New look, same GW” indeed.

The slogan headlines the GW women’s basketball team’s schedule poster, but could just as easily substitute as a four word recap of Saturday’s 75-56 win over UMBC in the season opener at Smith Center. The Colonials (1-0) fell behind early, but battled back with a mix of veterans and fresh faces to begin their season with a victory.

The Retrievers opened up a 24-9 lead in the first half on the back of junior Carlee Cassidy. Cassidy had 21 points in the game’s first 10 minutes, including five three-pointers. She finished with a game-high 31.

But GW was not discouraged by its early struggles as they rallied to end the first half on a 27-9 run and take a three point lead into halftime.

“I had confidence in the team that we were going to get up,” senior Jessica Adair said after the game. “And that carried over.”

It was Adair, who finished with 15 points and nine rebounds, that tied the game for GW shortly before the first half came to a close. Senior Antelia Parrish added a free throw following UMBC coach Phil Stern’s technical foul to give the Colonials their first lead in 18 minutes of play. Despite a relatively quiet beginning to the game, Parrish paced GW with 19 points and 10 rebounds.

A number of new Colonials got in on the action as well. Freshman point guard Tiana Myers, wearing the number five jersey previously worn by graduate Kim Beck, got the start in her first career collegiate game and did not disappoint, scoring 11 points and adding four rebounds. Classmate Tara Booker came off the bench to add a trio of three-pointers en route to a 13-point, seven-rebound performance in her first collegiate action.

“One of the things I took from the exhibition game was that I need to get (Booker) on the floor more. She spreads the defense and she’s a big-time shooter,” head coach

Mike Bozeman said. “I was concerned whether when the lights came on, meaning a real game, would she bring that over? And she definitely did.”