Consumption and indulgence with Generic

Generic Theater’s production of “The Wild Party” is, indisputably, wildly well done. Once banned in Boston for its scandalous content, the musical, based on a poem by Joseph Moncure March, draws on the notion of overindulgence.

“It’s about an eccentric group of people in vaudeville in the 1920s who come together to have a wild party with drugs, alcohol and promiscuity,” said the director, Andrea Criollo, a senior. Criollo is a women’s studies major, theater minor and a presidential arts scholar.

“The Wild Party” marks the second play Criollo has directed for Generic and about the tenth student theater production she has worked on, either as an actor or behind the scenes.

Criollo invited students to audition at the beginning of this semester by singing a capella, asking those interested to impress her without instrumental backing. Callbacks later required actors to dance.

She commented on the challenge of casting a musical.

“Guys are always lacking in the theater department here,” she said. “We were lucky to get the talented guys we did.”

The cast, consisting of seven men and seven women, presents an impressive ensemble. Transitions are accentuated brilliantly with choreography. Ballet is used to transition from one scene to the next, as a lone actor dances his way through a still ensemble and brings life to them with movement.

“I found the play very relevant to college life,” Criollo said. “I chose it because the show is about overconsumption, choosing lust over love. It raises attention to what we are missing out on in college by having lots of hookups instead of something more meaningful.”

And though the show appears quite seamless, it did face a few hitches. One of the actresses had to drop out due to a rib injury, and the drummer broke his wrist a few days ago.

“Dealing with all of this has been frustrating, but we know we will pull out on top,” Criollo said.

She aims for a considerable turnout. Posters are up, the GWeekly newsletter announced the show – and she said the large cast should generate a wide audience.

“We fought hard to get the Lisner downstage, so the more support we get, the more we will see that we’re fighting for something people at GW care about,” she said.

“The Wild Party,” by Andrew Lippa, will be performed in the Lisner downstage Thursday, Nov. 13 and Friday Nov. 14 at 8 p.m., Saturday at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. and Sunday at 5 p.m. Tickets are $5.