The Hatchet wins awards for print and online editions

One of the nation’s largest student press organizations presented The Hatchet with two of its most prominent awards last week, the first time the paper has been recognized for both its print and online editions in the same year.

The Associated Collegiate Press presented the paper with the Online Pacemaker and Print Pacemaker awards. The Hatchet last received the online award in 2006 and the print award in 2005.

Judges select Pacemakers based on the quality of reporting, writing, content, design, photos, graphics and art. The ACP praised The Hatchet for its news and sports coverage, use of photos and giving the reader “a sense of place.”

“These awards are a tribute to a tireless and innovative staff that has worked hard to put us on the cutting edge of college journalism,” said Hatchet Editor in Chief Eric Roper. “Fifteen years after becoming independent, we certainly have a lot to show for ourselves.”

The ACP awards follow the announcement last spring that the Society of Professional Journalists had named The Hatchet the best non-daily student newspaper in the nation.

“The Hatchet is doing an extraordinary amount of work, producing an excellent product and adapting where it can with very limited resources,” said Howard Marshall, The Hatchet’s general manager.

“We also work without an adviser, meaning that students have full responsibility to teach their skills to the next generation,” he added. “It gives them a real sense of ownership.”

The Hatchet was one of 10 non-daily newspapers to receive the print award and five non-daily newspapers to receive the online award.

“It is a tribute to The Hatchet that they keep winning these awards,” said GW professor Mike Shanahan, a member of The Hatchet’s Board of Directors. “The student body should be grateful to have a hard-hitting, independent and self-sustaining newspaper on campus.”