Ten alumni earn spots in the U.S. House and Senate

Ten GW alumni won seats in the 111th U.S. Congress in Tuesday’s election, including nine out of ten incumbents who held on to their seats.

Matt Lindsay, director of GW alumni communications, said University President Steven Knapp is preparing to send congratulatory letters to the winners. He said he is impressed by the strong presence of GW-educated alumni who are involved in the federal government.

The newest GW alumnus in the 111th Congress:

Senator-elect Mark Warner, D-Va., received a CCAS B.A. in 1977. He was elected with 65 percent of the vote.

Nine GW alumni incumbents who were re-elected:

Rep. Jason Altmire, D-Pa., received a SPHHS M.H.S.A. degree in 1998. He was elected to a second term with 56 percent of the vote.

Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va., received a CCAS B.A. in 1985. He has been in office since 2001 and was re-elected with 63 percent of the vote.

Del. Donna Christensen, D-Virgin Islands, received a SMHS M.D. in 1970. She has been in office since 1997 and ran unopposed.

Rep. John “Jimmy” James Duncan Jr., R-Tenn, received a Law School J.D. in 1973. He has been in office since 1988 and was re-elected with 78 percent of the vote.

Sen. Michael Enzi, R-Wyo., received a SoB B.B.A. in 1966. He has been in office since 1997 and was re-elected with 76 percent of the vote.

Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., received a CCAS B.A. in 1981. He has been in office since 2001 and was re-elected with 66 percent of the vote.

Rep. Sam Johnson, R-Texas, received an ESIA M.S. in 1974. He has been in office since 1991 and was re-elected with 60 percent of the vote.

Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., received a SEAS B.S. in 1963. He has been in office since 1989 and was re-elected with 61 percent of the vote.

Rep. Robert Wexler, D-Fla., received his Law School J.D. in 1985. He has been In office since 1997 and was re-elected with 66 percent of the vote.

One GW alumnus incumbent lost his seat:

Rep. Tim Mahoney, D-Fla., received his SoB M.B.A. in 1983. He served one term and received 40 percent of the vote in this election.

Three GW alumni senators were not up for re-election this fall. They were Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, and Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev. Reid is the Senate majority leader for the 111th Congress.

-Compiled by Dan Zuccari