Lambda Chi Alpha charity drive nets four tons of food

Members of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity collected an estimated four tons of food this semester to benefit Capital Area Food Bank, leaders of the fraternity said last week.

Fraternity members have promoted their cause on campus since the beginning of the semester by placing boxes for food donations in sorority houses and tabling outside J Street twice a week. Chapter members also raised about $1,000 in monetary donations from their efforts at J Street.

“I’m really impressed with the giving spirit of the GW community,” said Will Vanderveer, Lambda Chi Alpha vice president for external affairs. “I’m proud that our fraternity could be a part of the effort.”

Lambda Chi Alpha also held a volleyball tournament on Saturday with a number of sororities to raise more money for their cause. Each sorority was charged $80 to compete in the tournament, which was won by the Sigma Kappa sorority.

The volleyball tournament is not a new activity for Lambda Chi Alpha, but they dropped this event in past years. Vanderveer said they decided to re-establish it this year because it was very successful in the past.

“This is a great event because girls are typically interested in playing volleyball over football and it’s a great event to have when it’s cold,” Vanderveer said.

The sorority participants were also encouraged to donate to the food drives to earn points for the overall competition.

“This has been our most successful fraternity event in years,” said Lambda Chi Alpha President David Kornreich, a senior.

All chapters of Lambda Chi Alpha take part in food drives as part of the North American Food Drive.