Staff Editorial: Only at GW

Watching the returns come back in 2004, where did you imagine you would be on election night 2008?

Did you picture yourself in Foggy Bottom, gathering in front of the White House, standing among the monuments or being at the Capitol? In the hours spanning Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, it became abundantly clear to many of us why we came to GW.

After the 2008 presidential election was called for Sen. Barack Obama, Foggy Bottom exploded in celebration, living up to and surpassing any possible admissions pamphlet or tour guide’s pitch. Students ran to the White House in droves, cars honked in the streets, spontaneous festivities stretched well into the night – and GW students realized the potential of attending a University with a perfect location, incredible opportunities and an amazingly passionate student body.

Being mere blocks from the White House gave us the chance to run down to Pennsylvania Avenue last night, but location wouldn’t mean anything if you were running alone. Students’ passion for the campaign, the election and the future of this country made all the difference.

The GW College Republicans and College Democrats went far above and beyond the call of duty in the opportunities for activism they provided this year. The sheer amount of man hours both groups put into canvassing, running phone banks, knocking on doors, registering voters and even flying members as far as Colorado – this energy represents the best of GW.

Even those who did not work through the CRs or CDs found ways to contribute to an emotional, history-making election. The opportunities for Colonials were abundant.

And guess what? The best opportunity of all is happening now.

We are in the nation’s capital. The election is over, but our chance to be part of the next era of politics is just beginning. With our energy and enthusiasm, we have taken up a mantle that we as GW students can hold on to for the next four years.

Even those students whose candidate will not be moving into 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. next year have been part of a historic campaign and unprecedented young voter mobilization. Their opportunity is no less potent or important.

No other university is right down the street from the White House, and at GW, the issues of the campaign and the fervor inspired by the election do not have to end.

Who knows where you will be in four years. Take the rest of your time at GW to make as many “I can’t believe I have the chance to do this” moments as you possibly can.

Comment on this editorial