GW alumni in Congress

Many GW students want to hold an elected position in the federal government. Although many will not actually make it that far, here is a list of those who are currently living out the dream.

Rep. Jason Altmire, D-Penn., received a master’s degree in health administration from GW in 1998. He represents the 4th District of Pennsylvania in the House.

Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va., majored in political science as an undergraduate at GW. He represents Virginia’s 7th District in the House and currently serves as chief deputy whip, which is the House’s highest appointed position.

Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., earned an MBA from GW in 1975 and was elected to the Senate in 1986. He is the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee.

Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, may be known more for his alleged escapades in men’s bathrooms than his role in government. He did some graduate work at GW in 1970 and has served as Idaho’s senator since 1991.

Rep. Jimmy Duncan, R-Tenn., graduated from the Law School in 1973. He represents Tennessee’s 2nd District in the House.

Rep. Michael Enzi, R-Wyo., earned an accounting degree from GW in 1966. He was elected to the Senate in 1997.

Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, attended GW as an undergraduate and graduate student after losing his right arm fighting in WWII. He is the third most senior senator in the Senate and has been in office since 1962. He is currently the chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.

Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., received a degree in political science in 1983. He was elected in 2000 to represent New York’s 2nd District in the House.

Sen. Sam Johnson, R-Texas, earned a master’s degree in international affairs from GW in 1974 after years of distinguished military service. He represents Texas’ 3rd congressional district in the House.

Rep. Tim Mahoney, D-Fla., earned an MBA from GW. He replaced the infamous Mark Foley as the representative for Florida’s 16th District in the House.

Sen. Jim Ramstad, R-Minn., earned a degree with honors from the Law School in 1973. He has represented Minnesota’s 3rd District in the House since 1990.

Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., graduated from GW Law School in 1964. He is the majority leader in the U.S. Senate and has been Nevada’s senior senator since 1987.

Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., graduated from the School of Engineering and Applied Science with a degree in 1963. He has represented Florida’s 6th District since 1989.

Rep. Robert Wexler, D-Fla., received a degree from the Law School in 1985. He currently represents Florida’s 19th District in the House.