Annual Greek Week includes multicultural organizations

Members of the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council included the Multicultural Greek Council in their annual Greek Week for the first time last week.

The yearly tradition brought members of Greek-letter life together for a week of activities that raised more than $3,000 for a D.C.-based food bank. Senior Shannon Reed, a member of Pi Beta Phi, said that she fully supported the change.

“This is the best Greek Week yet, because we’re all included,” she said. “We should be inclusive and not exclusive.”

Greek Week organizers also decided to mix up the different chapters during competitions. This was done so that members from different organizations could interact and form cross-chapter relationships.

The events began last Saturday with the Unity Ball, a semiformal dance held at the Capital Hilton.

On Sunday, the Greek-letter community hosted motivational speaker David Stollman. He addressed the students on some of the issues facing members of Greek-letter life communities across the country, specifically on how to deal with people who do not understand Greek-letter life.

Greek Week continued on Monday with date auction that raised money for So Others May Eat, a nonprofit organization that fights local hunger. The week progressed with an Olympic relay on Tuesday and a pumpkin carving contest on Wednesday.

Festivities culminated in a talent show Thursday, which was held in Lisner Auditorium and drew more than 1,200 students. During the exhibition team presented skits, most of which had an Olympic theme that involved interpretations of this summer’s games with a few variations – like a speed walking event. Many showcased a Michael Phelps impersonator wearing a Speedo as he ran through a group of screaming fans.

Dean Harwood, director of Greek Life, said Greek Week draws the greatest number of participants out of all of the Greek-letter events held throughout the year. n