Men’s basketball grabs three verbals

Three prep school basketball players have verbally committed to play for the GW men’s basketball team next year, sources said.

Daymon Warren, David Pellom and Dwayne Smith have pledged to play in Foggy Bottom next season, their coaches confirmed this week. Their commitments bring GW’s total number of pledged recruits for next year to four, after Kinley Branch committed to GW two weeks ago.

Warren currently attends Worcester Academy in Worcester, Mass., after graduating from El Cerrito High School in California last year. His coach at Worcester Academy, Ed Reilly, confirmed the commitment and called Warren a “warrior” with good hands.

“You want big kids who can run the court and guard the rim a little bit, but you also like big kids who catch everything that’s thrown their way, and he does that,” Reilly said.

Reilly said Warren has a very strong body and weighs around 230 pounds. ESPN’s recruiting Web site, which ranks Warren at No. 45 in the country for his position of power forward, lists him as 6 feet 8 inches tall.

Reilly also noted that Warren was quick for his size, a skill that could prove critical in a GW offense that is known for being fast-paced.

“You don’t see very many kids with his body type that can run as fast as he can from rim to rim,” he said.

Pellom’s commitment was confirmed by Carlos Peralta, headmaster at Charis Prep in North Carolina, where Pellom is currently enrolled. He graduated last year from New Hanover High School in Wilmington, N.C., and is reported to be a 6-foot-8, 190-pound small forward by ESPN.

Whit Lesure, head coach at Bridgton Academy in Maine, confirmed Smith’s commitment to GW for next season. Smith is attending Bridgton Academy this year after initially signing a National Letter of Intent with GW last April. Smith was ruled ineligible to play, though, because he took two core classes in his fifth year of high school, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported in August.

Smith attended Pickering-Ajax High School in Ontario, Canada, last year and is a 6-foot-5 forward.

The Department of Athletics is unable to comment on recruits until the high schoolers have signed National Letters of Intent.

-Dan Greene contributed to this report.