Chi Omega recruits 119 new members in its return to GW

Chi Omega, the newest Panhellenic Association sorority on campus, finished its colonization recruitment Saturday with a total of 119 new members following a week of meetings and interviews.

Ann Boarman, director of communications for Chi Omega’s national organization, said the Chi Omega recruits were impressive. She said she was very satisfied with the new members that she officially welcomed into Chi Omega Saturday at the bid day ceremony in the Elliott School of International Affairs.

“We were extremely pleased with our recruitment results,” Boarman said. “The caliber of students at GW is very impressive, and our team enjoyed getting to know everyone who came through.”

More than 250 women, coming from every class at GW, attended at least one of the recruitment events. In contrast, Pi Beta Phi, a Panhellenic sorority that joined the campus two years ago, had 170 women come out for their first recruitment and recruited only 85 new members.

Director of Greek Life Dean Harwood said he was pleased by the turnout and the interest in Chi Omega.

“I am confident that (Chi Omega) will be very successful, and they will add a great deal to the GW Greek community,” he said.

Boarman said she is excited that Chi Omega now has an official presence in the GW community.

“We are excited to positively contribute to the already thriving Greek system,” Boarman said, adding, “We couldn’t be more thrilled about Chi Omega’s new members, and we are eager to see how the colony flourishes at GW.”