Volleyball’s six match win streak snapped in five-set loss to U.R.I.

In sports, every loss stings, but some hurt more than others – such as one that snaps a six-match winning streak.

GW volleyball coach Jojit Coronel said there was no change in his team’s preparation for Sunday’s match against the University of Rhode Island, but the Colonials came out flat-footed. And that makes the loss extra painful.

“I’d rather just get beaten than lose by not playing your A-game,” Coronel said after the five-set loss. “To be honest, we played our C-game.”

But if what the Colonials brought on Sunday was their C-game, they have plenty of upside for the rest of the season, as GW (12-9, 5-4 A-10) was able to take the Rams deep into the fifth set.

The two teams alternated games, with Rhode Island wining the first, third and fifth games. GW led the fifth game, which is played to 15 instead of the usual 25, 10-8 before the Rams scored eight unanswered points to win the match.

“URI looked very efficient out there,” Coronel said. “They looked pretty fluid, and at times, we just couldn’t find our consistency.”

The loss may have taken some wind out of GW’s sails with less than a month left before the Atlantic 10 tournament, but the team is still in first place in the Atlantic 10 Eastern Division. Winning the division gives them an automatic berth into the Atlantic 10 tournament.

With about a month left in the season, Coronel said the loss might help refocus the team for the final stretch.

“It’s disappointing. It’s heartbreaking,” Coronel said. “But in a way, I’m glad we lost. It brings you back down to earth. It makes you work harder. We’ll be better prepared now going forward and we’ll be much better prepared for the A-10.”

GW) next plays at Howard in a non-conference match Tuesday at 7 p.m.