University donors attend President’s Ball

Web Extra

The University pulled out all the stops for its most generous donors at the second annual President’s Ball held at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery Wednesday night.

The Ball attracted about 300 donors, all of whom donated at least $1,000 to the University in the past year. School of Media and Public Affairs Professor Frank Sesno emceed the event, which celebrated the record $89 million dollars that the University raised during last fiscal year.

University President Steven Knapp was featured in the premiere of a new promotional video for the University, which showed him sitting with four students discussing what makes GW great.

“Sitting with these students allowed me to see the palpable energy that exists on our campus and inspires our alumni,” Knapp said. “That energy was also shown recently here at GW when we had five former secretaries of states here on campus. We had students lining up for tickets at 6 in the morning. Normally, you would see that for a rock concert.”

Knapp also congratulated the new donors for reaching a level of giving that allowed them to attend the ball.

“I want to congratulate our new donors and welcome them to the ranks as they inspire a new generation of students through their contributions,” he said.

Richard Crespin, president of the GW Alumni Association, said events like the President’s Ball are important because they “create something for the alumni to buy into.” He said there is much more GW can do for its alumni, however.

“The University could create more services for alumni who are mid-career and may be looking to switch careers,” he said. “A lot of people change careers three or four times.”

The room was decorated with a stage that featured a backdrop of George Washington. There was a five-course dinner that was timed into the program so that as soon as one performance or speech ended, another course was coming out to the tables.

Laurel Price Jones, vice president for development and alumni relations, said the University spent about $100,000 on the event.

“You don’t bring in money without spending it,” Jones said, adding “GW spends 18 cents for every dollar it receives which is pretty standard for universities.”

Many alumni said they enjoyed the event,

“Not only is this an event to see friends, but now I will contribute to the school because I see my friends have contributed to the school,” said Nahid Khozeimeh, who graduated from GW in 1976. “It is also a great way to network and connect with other alumni.”