Classes from GW’s Best

If your parents want to add an intellectual twist to their Colonials Weekend experience, make sure they know about GW’s lecture series “Classes from GW’s Best.” On Saturday, Oct. 18, many of GW’s top professors have prepared lectures centered around “what the next president needs to know.” Here are a selection of those available, with descriptions from the Colonials Weekend Web site; for the full schedule, visit the Parent Services Web site.

Gregg Brazinsky: “What the Next President Needs to Know About Asia”

Gregg Brazinsky will discuss the opportunities and dangers that the next president will confront in dealing with East Asia. He will explain the strategic and economic significance of the region to the United States and the prospects for U.S. relations with China, Korea and Japan over the next four years.

2:00 p.m. – 2:50 p.m.

Mount Vernon Campus Post Hall

Jorge Rivera: “The Greening of Business: Challenges and Opportunites”

While many in the business, government and nonprofit sectors view environmental protection as inevitably ignored and/or a threat to competitiveness, others see win-win opportunities. What allows some business to see opportunities where others see a threat to economic growth and competitiveness? This presentation seeks to provide insights about how businesses are addressing this question.

3:00 p.m. – 3:50 p.m.

Marvin Center, 3rd Floor

Deepa Ollapaly: “What the Next President Needs to Know About India”

India relations are flying high after decades of mistrust. But India has ambitions of being an independent great power on the global stage, and India is unlikely to be a junior partner to the United States. The next U.S. president will have to understand not just India’s economic and military power and potential, but also its worldviews and furious domestic politics.

3:00 p.m. – 3:50 p.m.

Marvin Center, 3rd Floor

Tyler Anbinder: “What the Next President Needs to Know About Immigration”

Immigration has been one of the United States’ most contentious political issues in recent years, one the next president will surely have to address. In this session, History Department Chairman Tyler Anbinder will compare today’s immigrants to those from America’s past, consider why Congress failed to enact “comprehensive immigration reform” this year and discuss likely trends in immigration and immigration policy under the next president.

4:00 p.m. – 4:50 p.m.

Marvin Center, 3rd Floor

Source: Office of Parent Services