Athlete grad rates rank high

GW has one of the highest graduation rates for athletes out of any school in the Atlantic 10 Conference, according to a report released on Tuesday.

The NCAA Graduation Success Rate Report gave 11 out of 18 GW sports teams perfect scores – the highest in the A-10 conference – meaning that every scholarship player on those teams who enrolled between 1998 and 2001 graduated within six years or transferred in good academic standing.

Using these criteria, 94 percent of GW athletes from that time period graduated – the national average for all Division I schools is 78 percent. The men’s basketball team scored a 67 percent, which is above the national Division I basketball average of 62.

The women’s basketball, cross country, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, swimming, tennis, volleyball and water polo teams all received perfect scores in the GSR Report. Men’s soccer and swimming also featured perfect scores.

“I think a lot of coaches were high on academics,” said Nicole Trickett, a women’s soccer player who graduated last year. “I know our academic support staff was all-around great. We had a whole building where we could go study and we had support. Just having that readily and easily available made a difference.”

Under the federal rate, which only counts athletes that graduate at their school without transferring, 74 percent of GW athletes from that time period graduated – the national average for all Division I athletes is 63 percent. The federal rate for GW’s general student body is 78 percent.

Fifteen of the 18 GW teams included in the report exceeded national GSR averages. Fourteen of the 18 exceeded federal rate averages.

Chandra Bierwirth, assistant director of athletics for compliance, said she prefers the GSR Rate to the federal rate because it accounts for those transferring in and out of the institution.

“It’s a more true number of what’s going on with the kids that are actually (at the school),” she said.

Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz was not available for comment.