A kid-friendly guide to D.C.

Here are some fun D.C. activities that are perfectly suited for a younger sibling — or just your kid at heart.

The Washington Monument:

One of the best views of D.C. is said to be from the top of the 555-foot Washington Monument. Free tickets are can be picked up at the monument (though you can reserve them in advance for a small fee). It’s very easy to find as well, as it’s on the National Mall and visible from GW’s campus (not to mention the rest of the city – it’s the tallest structure in Washington). Inside hours are from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

The National Zoo:

With about 400 species ranging from ants to elephants, the National Zoo ranks among D.C.’s most popular (and free) tourist destinations. Outside exhibits are open until 8 p.m. and inside exhibits until 6 p.m. for the rest of October. The nearest Metro stop is Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan.

The National Aquarium:

For those more interested in the 70 percent of Earth covered by water, you might want to bring your family to the National Aquarium. You’ll see some of the sea’s most bizarre specimens, including the giant Pacific octopus or the red lionfish. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., it is only a short walk away from the Federal Triangle Metro stop. There is a general admission price of $7; make sure to bring cash, because credit cards are not accepted. Don’t miss the animal talks at 2 p.m.!

The Carousel on the National Mall:

You might be a little too old for this one, but if you’re doing the museums, why not stop by? This 1947 vintage carousel is in front of the Arts and Industries Building on the National Mall. The cost is $2 for a ride, and the waiting area has great views of the Washington Monument and the Capitol.

Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum:

From Abraham Lincoln to Angelina Jolie, the Wax Museum is the next best thing to meeting historical and current figures. Plus, the Jonas Brothers figures have just arrived and a picture with them will make your younger sister’s friends weep with jealousy. This museum is close to both the Metro Center and Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro stops. General admission tickets are $19, and hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday through Sunday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the rest of the week.