Volleyball wins in Southern swing

The Wright brothers may have been first in flight in North Carolina – but the GW volleyball team was first on the court this weekend as they tackled Charlotte and North Carolina Central to tack two wins onto their record.

GW defeated both teams by a score of 3-0, reinforcing the team’s season goal of a strong showing at the Atlantic 10 championships, junior co-captain Abby Syverson said.

“Basically the teams we have left to play in the conference are all teams (in our division), and we’re really looking to win our side of the conference,” she said. “So we still are looking forward to doing that, and beating Charlotte was the first step on the way there.”

The Colonials reached the A-10 Tournament for the first time in three years last season, but the team lost to Saint Louis in the first round. This year, they hope to win the A-10 East Division title and guarantee a first-round bye.

Senior Liz Moult attributed the win to communication and passing, but said she saw the close scores – GW beat narrowly beat Charlotte in all three games – as an affirmation of the team’s improvements this season.

“In the past, we’ve struggled a little bit in clutch moments,” Moult said. “That was one thing we did really well. While there were definitely times, particularly against Charlotte, when it got down to the wire, we were able to really come through.”

The wins were also a relief to the Colonials after suffering two disappointing losses to Dayton and Xavier last weekend.

“North Carolina Central was a weaker team, so it was a good confidence-builder-type game. We just went out there strong and we tried to play fearless which was good for us, and we got all the jitters and everything out,” Moult said.

Moult had a strong showing, recording a team-high 13 kills against Charlotte and 12 kills against North Carolina Central. But she is the first to admit that hitting and serving need work before next week’s match-up against Temple, a strong team that could pose a threat.

Syverson said the Colonials still had kinks to work out too, highlighting consistency as one aspect of GW’s game that needs improvement.

“I think in practice we’ll probably work on being more specific and precise and demand more of ourselves. We’ve been working on getting two kills in a row before we can move on, so we’ll keep doing stuff like that,” Syverson said. “In games we’ll have one great play and then struggle and then have another flash of greatness. We’re working on being consistent.”