Varsity Roundup

Swimming

GW’s men’s and women’s swimming teams combined to place second of five teams at the Potomac Relays Friday at American, earning 600 points combined, 60 points short of George Mason. The planned diving events, which were scheduled to take place at Georgetown, were cancelled due to the school’s norovirus outbreak.

The men’s team won the 3×100 butterfly and the 3×100 breaststroke relay, while the women won the 200-meter medley relay.

GW next swims Oct. 17, at Catholic in a three-way meet with American.

Volleyball

The volleyball team (6-8, 1-3 A-10) lost two 3-1 matches at the Smith Center over the weekend, first to Dayton on Friday and then Xavier on Sunday. In both matches, the Colonials won the first game, only to drop the next three.

Sophomore Leah Hill led the Colonials with 17 kills against Xavier, but GW was not efficient in either match. Against Dayton, the Colonials hit just .076, then followed it up with a .118 performance. In comparison, Xavier hit a higher-than-average .320.

GW next plays two matches in North Carolina. They face North Carolina Central on Thursday and A-10 rival Charlotte on Friday.

Men’s water polo

To say GW’s men’s water polo team (7-11) has been busy is an understatement. The team played four matches in California over three days, losing to No. 18 California Baptist and No. 20 Air Force but beating Fresno Pacific 10-8. The matches against Air Force and California Baptist were at the Claremont Convergence, an event GW attends every year.

The Colonials next play Tuesday against Navy at the Smith Center.