Two hundred freshmen pay for residence hall safes

More than a month after the University began offering locked safes in residence hall rooms, about 200 safes have been installed.

The safes, which are sold through Safeplace USA at seven universities across the country, are promoted by the University Police Department as a way to abate residence hall theft. Of the students who had them installed, all are freshmen, said a representative for the safe company.

“I heard that usually dorms aren’t the safest place for jewelry and stuff like that,” said freshman Ilana Schack, who has a safe in her room. “My mom found out about it and said, ‘I think you should get one.'”

With the option of either renting or buying the safe, 75 percent of GW students chose to buy them, according to the company.

Safeplace USA faced problems with customs delays when transporting the Israeli-made safes to the United States.

“For the first time in our history there was a delay,” said David Napell, a representative for the company. “We wound up installing the safes when the rooms were occupied. We worked it all out.”

Several students who purchased safes said they were pleased with their investments.

Freshman Marisa Meyers said, “It’s just more of a security thing knowing that nobody else can get in.”

Company representatives said they hope the safes will catch on among students with each new school year.