Sororities battle in the ‘War of the Roses’

Web Extra

The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity joined with six sororities on campus last week to raise money for disability awareness as part of the “War of the Roses.”

Push America – a charity for people living with disabilities – will benefit from the $4,000 expected from the “War of the Roses,” which is named after the fraternity’s official flower, the red rose.

“Push America is an organization that Pi Kapp believes strongly in,” said Pi Kappa Phi chapter president Ben Shiffman, a junior. “All of the money we’re raising will go to children’s camps.”

Events included penny wars, a fundraiser at Campus Fresh, a dunk tank, powder-puff football and skits.

The skits had a musical theme and members of Greek-letter life performed them Thursday night in Funger Hall. Each sorority incorporated songs by artists ranging from Michael Jackson to The Backstreet Boys. Alpha Delta Pi members chose a 90s theme for their skit and included spoofs from popular television shows and bands of the decade.

The sororities involved gained points for every event that they entered or won. Ultimately, the chapter with the most points will be added to the plaque of past winners in the Pi Kappa Phi house.

To raise the funds, sororities paid an entrance fee to participate and purchased t-shirts. Additionally, a fundraising night was held at Campus Fresh in the Health and Wellness Center, where Pi Kappa Phi received 10 percent of the profits made that evening.

The event, now in its third year, drew around 350 sorority participants along with 60 Pi Kappa Phi members.

Junior Shayn Prapaisilp, the philanthropy chair of Pi Kappa Phi and main organizer of the event, said the fraternity started work on the event in May.

“The events are fun, but more importantly, they raise awareness” Prapaisilp said. “The kids we work with are normal kids. They just happen to have a disability. We want to spread that idea to the rest of the Greek community and the GW campus.”

The fraternity plans to raise a total of $8,000 to $10,000 dollars for Push America this year.

Members will also participate in other events involving Push America, including a trip to a Virginia camp to build wheelchair ramps and a visit to Children’s Specialized Hospital for children with disabilities.