Founding Farmers restaurant opens near campus

Students often walk by Kinkead’s Restaurant, their mouths watering with the temptation of spending the equivalent of three lunches on one crab cake. But those students now need only walk one more block to get the same satisfaction for half the price.

Founding Farmers is a new farm-to-table restaurant at 19th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue that offers real food with real value. With huge portions, fresh ideas and high-quality standards, Founding Farmers lives up to its motto of “True Food and Drink.”

If you are looking for food that is comforting to the stomach and conscience, Founding Farmers is the place to go. The restaurant offers American standards, serving everything from meatloaf and chicken pot pie, to fresh entrée salads and lobster macaroni and cheese – all made with fresh farm products.

But save room for dessert. Their heirloom carrot cake, creamy Vermont Ch?vre cheesecake or good old-fashioned banana split are worth finding your other stomach.

The restaurant is owned by 40,000 American farmers. Based on a simple vertical integration formula, Founding Farmers represents the true American family farmer. Dan Simons, the restaurant’s food service consultant, said Founding Farmers was inspired by the community who makes eating possible.

“The restaurant was driven by the desire that it would be better for farmers if Americans could really learn the difference between family farming and institutional farming, for what it does to the quality of food and for the economy,” Simons said.

As the only Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design-certified restaurant in the District, Founding Farmers hopes to be a sustainable trendsetter for restaurants citywide.

“I think we’re going to show that it was worth the investment,” Simons said, pointing to the reclaimed wood floors, barn doors and recycled metal walls.

It is also worth your money. Meals cost between $15 and $20. Cheaper options for students include a bucket of kettle corn popcorn for $2, heirloom cheese puffs for $5 or baby cheeseburgers for $12. These are perfect snacks fit for sitting around one of the community tables, accessing the free Wi-Fi and studying for tomorrow’s test.

“We’re clearly a part of the GW community and we want to be,” Simons said, adding that the breakfast options are some of the best deals for students.

Imagine being woken up by a rooster and coming out of your hay loft to find scrambled local eggs served with a homemade English muffin, a waffle served with local churned butter or pancakes served with pure maple cinnamon syrup. While not available on weekends yet, breakfast at Founding Farmers is an easy way to cure your Friday morning hangover.

For those who want to start the day off with a stiff drink, Founding Farmers’ bar is unique to the area. Based on pre-Prohibition mixology, the restaurant’s bar has its own executive bar chief to guide drinkers toward the best quality drink they can find. All juices are freshly squeezed, drinks are adorned with fresh garnishes and large ice cubes leave your drink tasting good to the last drop.

Just like your drink, the service, atmosphere and food will leave you wanting more.