Spirit moves to G Street

University officials said this week that the space formerly occupied by DJ’s Fastbreak restaurant will house the Spirit Office and a student lounge, in addition to the EMeRG offices on the top floor. The former Spirit Office in the Marvin Center will become the new resource center for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning students.

GW finalized the occupants of the building at 2145 G Street after more than a year of discussion and collaboration with students, said Helen Cannaday-Saulny, assistant vice president for Student and Academic Support Services.

“Throughout these conversations, three themes emerged and repeated themselves often: space for students to lounge, study, and build community and traditions through spirit related activities,” Cannaday-Saulny wrote in an e-mail.

The building already houses EMeRG on the second floor and several dozen tables and chairs on the first floor. The University furnished the front with televisions and couches while the back has desks and tables for those looking for a quiet place to study.

Before receiving final approval, plans for the student space have varied since DJ’s Fastbreak closed in May 2007. At one time, Student Association leaders said the space would house a student-run business that would sell GW merchandise and Greek-letter paraphernalia.

Moving the GW Spirit Office, which oversees the GW Cheer Team, Colonial Army, First Ladies Dance Team and the University mascots, was an easy decision, Saulny said. The intersection of G and 21st streets has heavy student traffic and is close to the Smith Center, which houses many University athletic activities.

“We are hoping that the building becomes a popular student hangout,” said Spirit Director Nicole Macchione-Early.

Macchione-Early said the student lounge and Spirit Office will fit in well together on the first floor.

“The Spirit Office actually separates the two spaces so that those activities can be exclusive of each other,” Macchione-Early said. “By acquiring the former Spirit Office, LGBTQ Resource Center will now have a physical space for the center, which the University established at the beginning of the school year.”

Aaron Fox, LGBTQ Resource Center director, said his office will move into Marvin Center Room 433 this week.

He said, “I am currently in Marvin Center 425, but the new space will offer more privacy and opportunities.”