Contagious virus outbreak at Georgetown infects more than 170 students

An outbreak of a highly contagious virus on Georgetown University’s campus has affected more than 170 students with symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Since Tuesday, students have been checking into the Georgetown University hospital with apparent symptoms of food poisoning. The school’s dining hall was subsequently closed, The Hoya reported, though it has not been determined that food from the dining hall was to blame for the virus. The D.C. Department of Health ruled today that it was a result of norovirus, a virus that can be spread through contimnated food and human contact.

The Hoya reported that the initial contagion of the virus has not yet been determined. The dining hall has been reopened and the health department plans to complete its testing on-campus within the next 24 hours.

Look for a full story on this issue in Monday’s edition of The Hatchet

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.