GW officials: Let’s be good neighbors

One of the great benefits of attending The George Washington University is its location in the Foggy Bottom/West End and Foxhall communities. We enjoy numerous cultural activities as well as excellent shopping, restaurants and entertainment opportunities.

The George Washington University is committed to being a good neighbor in our community. The University Police Department, the Office of Community Relations and the Office of Off-Campus Student Affairs demonstrate this commitment, working in partnership with students and neighbors to address concerns and make a better community for all of us.

We often hear concerns from our neighbors about noise. Our neighborhoods are filled with working professionals, senior citizens and families with young children. The lifestyle of students can be very different from the lifestyle of our neighbors. You may be walking with a group of friends for a fun night out at 8 p.m. on Saturday night, just when parents are putting their children to bed. Or you may be returning at 1 a.m. after enjoying a night on the town when families are sound asleep.

To help us all be better members of our community we are continuing the Quiet Zone initiative for the fall 2008 semester. As a reminder to students leaving their residence halls, Quiet Zone posters will be placed on building doors. We encourage everyone to keep these tips in mind:

– When walking in a group, please keep your talking and laughing to a moderate level, particularly during late-night hours.

– Pay special attention to residential buildings. D.C. laws make it illegal to shout or make a disturbance outside a building at night.

– Refrain from congregating outside of residence halls or other GW buildings late at night or early in the morning.

– Keep your mobile phone conversations to a reasonable volume.

We encourage you to follow these tips and your own common sense in our neighborhoods. Courtesy can lead to tremendous benefits for our communities. Please help us all to be better neighbors and encourage others to take part in the Quiet Zone.

Sincerely,

Linda Donnels
Associate Vice President and Dean of Students

Dolores A. Stafford
Chief, University Police Department

Michael P. Akin
Executive Director of Government and Community Relations