‘Google Bus’ helps students switch to GWMail accounts

Despite rainy weather, representatives from Google Mail arrived in the “Google Bus” on Friday to show students and alumni how to operate the e-mail service.

The event, hosted in the Marvin Center, featured free demonstrations on how to utilize new Google applications, such as documents, sites and calendar. Representatives from Student Technology Services were on hand to assist those who had not converted to the new GWMail, which was implemented this summer.

“We have been introducing Google apps to college campuses for the past two years and currently have over two million student users,” said Miriam Schneider, a Google representative.

The environmentally friendly Google Bus is touring ten schools, and began their trip at Google headquarters in Mountain View, Calif.

“(The event) is a great way to learn about what Google Mail has to offer,” freshman Maggie Christenson said. “I think that the demonstrations and other fun giveaways were a great way to have students come to the tour and see what Gmail is all about.”

In addition to GW, the Google Bus will visit the University of Southern California, Arizona State University, Vanderbilt University and the University of Virginia to promote the colleges’ switch to Gmail.