Trojan brings condoms, safe sex message to Kogan

The Trojan Brand Condoms Evolve Bus rolled into Kogan Plaza Monday for a few hours of safe sex activities and education.

The Evolve Tour, which encourages people to “evolve their attitudes about sex and condoms,” promotes safety against HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted infections and teen pregnancies, said Jim Daniels, Trojan vice president of marketing.

“Safe sex is not taught in America,” said James Wagner, president of Advocates for Youth, which co-sponsored the Evolve campaign. “The message needs to get out there.”

The tour collects signatures of those who pledge to use a condom every time they have sex. So far, more than 150,000 people have signed Evolve’s pledge sheet.

The event also included activities like banana races and a virtual reality ride highlighting safe sex education.

Wagner said the activities and free condoms offered through the campaign will help change attitudes toward sex.

“Most students here don’t know that Washington, D.C. has the highest rate of HIV/AIDS in the country,” Wagner said.

“I think this is a really fun way to bring awareness to campus, everyone seems to be enjoying it,” said freshman Amanda Meade.

Sophomore Zach Anderson said the safe sex education games were fun and effective.

“I especially liked the banana race,” he said referring to the contest where students race to properly place a condom on a banana. “It’s a really good way to teach people how to put it on the right way.”