Needling into grandma’s hobby

Knitting is not just for grandmothers anymore. GW students are getting in on it too.

Members of Stitch ‘n Bitch, a club on campus that meets Wednesday nights on the fifth floor of the Marvin Center, are making knitting hip again.

They chat, laugh, enjoy homemade cupcakes and knit – all part of the mission of Stitch ‘n Bitch.

Sophomore Dana Berman and junior Ellie Matthews founded the club at GW last year to combine their favorite pastimes: knitting and chatting.

“We figured, ‘Why not get a bunch of people together and just knit?'” Berman said.

Knitting might not come to mind as a way for college students to relax. But members said knitting is becoming more and more popular on college campuses.

But what if like many college students you do not know where to begin when knitting? Don’t worry, Stitch ‘n Bitch has members with a wide range of knitting skills. Some of the current members joined Stitch ‘n Bitch without ever having picked up a pair of knitting needles.

“It’s a lot of teaching and learning . We’re not trying to force people to learn or do certain projects, you can come even if you can’t knit,” Berman said.

Sophomore Alex Murrin said, “It’s nice that when things go wrong during a project you can have other people look at it and help you out.”

Individually, members work on knitting socks, mittens, scarves, sweaters and blankets. Some members are making scarves for high school friends with their new college colors for holiday presents.

“It’s really addicting,” said member Jen Creighton, a recent GW graduate who returns to campus to attend meetings.

This year Stitch ‘n Bitch hopes to get involved with charitable projects, including knitting hats for premature babies. They also plan to attend different knitting events in the city, such as fairs that sell different kinds of wool and knitting supplies.

Stitch ‘n Bitch clubs are all over the country, influenced by the popular “Stitch ‘n Bitch” how-to book series by Debbie Steller. Club members said they hope to expand their membership this semester and are spreading their name via posters and word of mouth.

The organization does not receive money from the University, but members plan to petition for funds to spend on kits for beginner knitters and supplies for their charity projects.

“People may not know how to make scarves or how to knit,” Berman said. “But they can ask us questions, instead of having to call their grandmother.”