D.C. Fashion Week goes international

Web Extra

The District took a different spin on fashion by going international with only a hint of New York’s traditional savvy and chic at D.C.’s Fashion Week last week.

All the way from Kazakhstan, designers Akkenje Devyatko and Kuralai Nurkadilova showcased striking creations Friday night at the National Press Club.

“It’s more of a cultural aspect than of the fashion aspect,” said Jon E. Chick, a regional expert on Kazakhstan at the show. “I’ll be curious to see how the designers blend in their own national costumes with modern day fashion.”

Plaids, shimmering gold, browns, reds, and oranges draped models in a myriad of styles. Some of the outfits were one-piece jumpers with hoods draped over their hair.

The collection contained outfits with open backs and fronts and also dresses and pants. Models strutted down the runway accessorized with overcoats, arm pieces and large necklaces with stones and jewels.

Nurkadilova’s pieces catered more to the D.C. crowd, resembling an upscale and conservative business-professional style.

Blazers, pant suits, collared shirts, blouses, pencil skirts, silk dresses, and brief cases also graced the runway.

Both shows were accompanied by a DJ who brought an upbeat vibe to the room.

Ean Williams, Fashion Week director, said a unique aspect about D.C. is that it is a political city that brings together all countries.

“You don’t find any other organizations, unless it’s something like the United Nations… (with) the ambassador of Italy sitting next to the ambassador of Mozambique,” Williams said.

Williams said that fashion week here has a stronger appeal to people who are entering the fashion world. One of their goals is to help college and high school students learn how to break into the fashion industry.