Women’s soccer wins second straight, 4-0

When the power shut off at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex during halftime of GW’s women’s soccer game against Howard, leaving buildings dark and the scoreboard blank, it seemed the Colonials’ power began to flicker as well. But by that point, it didn’t matter.

The Colonials (2-4-0) scored three first-half goals against an overmatched Howard team and seemed to become complacent in the second half, when they missed chances to make their 4-0 victory even more lopsided.

But unlike the darkened scoreboard, the Colonials found a spurt of energy and put an exclamation point on their second-straight dominating win. The team’s generator flicked back on in the final ten minutes of the game, and the Colonials picked up the pace under the sweltering 90-degree heat to score one last goal, the second from senior Meg Pyle, before the buzzer sounded.

“It was really, really hot out there, and it definitely took a toll on myself and my teammates,” freshman forward Taryn Dietrich said. “Once we got the third goal in the first half, I think we might have settled down a little, because it’s hard to keep going all 90 minutes. But I think we pulled it off in the end and got that fourth goal.”

Most of the game’s play occurred on Howard’s side of the field – the Bison only attempted three shots the entire game and GW was comfortable in possession.

But the Colonials were unable to close their shots, and only four of a remarkable 36 GW shots made it in the goal. The Colonials won their last contest 4-0 against Delaware State, but in order to beat stronger opponents, including American Sept. 22, they will need to finish their harder to come by scoring opportunities.

“I think once we got the lead we weren’t really focusing on goal scoring, so we were more focused on ball movement and we did create some brilliant opportunities, but we’ve got to be able to finish those,” head coach Tanya Vogel said. “We’ve challenged our team to really work on putting the ball away.”

Though goalkeeper Lindsey Rowe was far from the action, thanks to the team’s cohesive movements on both offensive and defensive fronts, she said she thought speed was an area where the team could use improvement.

The team now has 11 days to prepare for American, one of the better teams in the region. The game will be a test for the Colonials, who could use a strong showing against a good team to propel themselves into a successful Atlantic 10 season and, eventually, A-10 tournament.

“We’re just going to continue to focus on ourselves, focus on speed of play,” Vogel said. “We want to get faster and faster and faster and then, like I said, be able to put the ball away once we get inside the box.”