Claire Low: Go Greek: Add a chapter to your story

By now, you may already be overwhelmed with extracurricular activities and found your “BFFs” on your floor in Thurston (or Madison, Crawford or Somers), and you might think that joining a sorority is not for you. Think again.

GW is home to a unique Greek community that combines all that the school and city have to offer. Sorority women spent thousands of hours volunteering in the community last year and hold a number of important jobs and internships all around the city. From Georgetown to Capitol Hill, sororities dance the night away at D.C.’s hotels and restaurants at semi-formals and formals.

The Panhellenic Association, the governing council for the nine National Panhellenic sororities on campus, is the largest women’s organization at GW, with close to one thousand members – and we’re still growing. When you join a sorority, you’ll become part of a growing Greek community that comprises close to 20 percent of the student body.

Sorority women are some of the most active leaders on campus. Whether it’s the College Democrats, College Republicans, the Student Association, various sports teams or any of the hundreds of clubs on campus, sorority women are involved. Every year, sorority chapters win awards from both their national organizations and from the Student Activities Center.

Every fall, sororities participate in Greek Week, competing against one another to become Greek Week champions. You’ll be able to bid on a fellow Greek at the date auction, watch fraternity men dress up in costumes and cheer on your sisters in field games, all while raising money for charity.

It’s never been a better time to join a sorority. This year marks the 150th year of Greek life at GW, and we’ll be celebrating our community this September during Alumni Weekend with alumnae, friends and family. We are also bringing a tenth sorority, Chi Omega, to campus in October.

If you choose to join a sorority, the most rewarding part will be the numerous friends you’ll make and the lifelong bonds you’ll form. Sororities are a support system and a home away from home on campus. Belonging to a chapter can mean you never have to worry about whether or not your college experience is going to be a memorable one.

Sorority recruitment starts this Thursday and lasts until Monday, Sept. 22. To sign up, go online to www.gwired.gwu.edu/sac/greek. Potential members will be able to meet the sisters of all nine sororities throughout the weekend and see which chapter fits them best. Don’t worry if you don’t know what you are doing. Everyone will be assigned a recruitment counselor to guide you along the way. The whole process culminates with bid day on Tuesday, when new members celebrate with their new sisters.

As one chapter of your life is closing – high school or the first years of college – a new chapter is just beginning. Why not add a sorority chapter to your story?

The writer, a senior majoring in political communication, is president of the GW Panhellenic Association.