Alpha Phi sorority wins SELF magazine challenge

SELF magazine named the GW Alpha Phi sorority chapter the winner of the SELF Challenge for their work in helping thousands of women begin to live healthier lives.

The contest encourages women of all ages and backgrounds enroll online at the SELF magazine Web site to receive tips on healthy living, eating and exercise. Alpha Phi won the competition by enrolling the most women in the challenge.

GW’s Alpha Phi competed against 136 other Alpha Phi chapters from across the U.S. and Canada. The other finalists include Villanova University and Syracuse University.

“Alpha Phi sisters strive to encourage healthy living and heart-healthy activities, and the SELF Challenge shares these goals,” said Alpha Phi President Ashley Rosen, a senior.

SELF Magazine Vice President and Publisher Kimberly Anderson Kelleher and SELF Magazine Special Projects Director Diane Anderson are both members of Alpha Phi.

“Both of these women value the link between Alpha Phi and (SELF magazine’s) focus on women’s health,” Rosen said.

Rosen said she has noticed that many of the members of Alpha Phi have begun to incorporate the SELF Challenge into their daily lives.

“I see it in the way girls are cooking smarter, trying new workouts and taking on a healthier lifestyle,” Rosen said.

SELF magazine finances a welcome-back party with catering, prizes and a DJ for the winners of the contest.