Fire alarm evacuates JBKO

A fire in JBKO Hall Friday night forced an evacuation. Viktors Dindzans/assistant photo editor
Viktors Dindzans/assistant photo editor

Updated Saturday, 3:50 p.m. Fire officials responded to an alarm in JBKO at about 8:45 p.m. Friday, because of smoke in the residence hall. Alan Etter, a spokesman for the D.C. Fire Department, said Saturday that the smoke came from “a minor short circuit.”

Several residents said they saw smoke emanating from a fourth floor room.

“I heard really loud knocking on my door and it was UPD,” said sophomore Heather Hachenburg, who lives on the floor. “I didn’t know what to do, I just darted out the door as fast as I could.” She said “smoke was everywhere” on the floor.

“I could smell fire on the fourth floor,” said sophomore Sophie DeMartine, a resident of the sixth floor. “I just want to go back in.”

The fire department allowed residents to return to their rooms at about 9:15 p.m. No injuries were reported.

Lauren Hoenemeyer, Tim Gowa, Andrew Nacin and Alexa Millinger contributed to this post.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.