Religious rockers hit campus

A Christian rock band delivered a faith-based message to a group of religious GW students in the Marvin Center Continental Ballroom Monday night.

The Gathering, a D.C.-area band, performed as part of an event by the GW Christian group Word Up!, which works to raise awareness about Christianity and engage students in the faith.

“I think it was a great success,” said Sarah-Jo Lawrence, a presidential administrative fellow and former GW women’s basketball star who helped coordinate the event. “I hope that through these Christian student groups more GW students will be impacted by the love of Jesus in a way that they didn’t think was possible.”

The Gathering originated at American University and is the college ministry of the McLean Bible Church in Tyson’s Corner, Va. The band is currently in the process of organizing ministries at both GW and Georgetown.

In addition to live music, Monday’s program also featured brief presentations from the event’s sponsors, including Athletes in Action, Hope, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, Word Up!, Campus Crusade for Christ and Sons of Issachar 21. Presentations ranged from video slideshows by Athletes in Action to a group rap by Word Up! and a comedic dance skit by the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.

Lawrence stressed that these organizations are open to people of different faiths.

“These groups welcome anyone who is curious about Christianity or wants to learn more about Jesus,” she said.

Kenan Cole, also a presidential administrative fellow, helped Lawrence plan the event.

“Sarah-Jo and I are both members of (Athletes in Action) and we, along with other Christian organizations on campus, had done a similar event three years ago and it was a big success,” Cole said. “This year, we wanted to repeat that and bring everyone together.”

He said they would like to replicate this Monday’s event in the future.

“We’d ideally like to have a spring event each year as well,” Cole said, adding, “Right now it is all a work in progress.”