Storm disrupts campus

Tropical Storm Hanna hit the District Saturday morning, leaving some residents of the Mount Vernon Campus without power for several hours.

At about 4:50 p.m., the storm blew a tree over on Foxhall Road, which cut utility lines and caused power outages in Ames Dining Room, the athletic complex and the Lloyd Gymnasium, said Juan Ibanez, executive director of Facilities. Eckles Memorial Library, Cole Hall and Somers Hall also experienced power outages but were able to receive some lighting and GWorld access from an emergency power generator.

Ibanez said an emergency team began preparing for the storm earlier in the week, which helped minimize its impact on the Mount Vernon and Foggy Bottom campuses, the latter of which only experienced minor water leaks.

“Worth noting are the superb efforts by John Petrie engaging D.C. emergency officials to bring about a rapid response by city officials and Dean of Students Linda Donnels’ student housing team . overseeing the students at the affected residence halls,” Ibanez wrote in an email.

The Pepco electric company removed the tree and returned power to the Mount Vernon Campus at 10:30 p.m., Ibanez said.

Several students on the Mount Vernon Campus noted the lack of hot water, even after power had been restored.

“Everyone took a cold shower this morning,” freshman Marybeth Benton said.

Hurricane Hanna made landfall early Saturday morning in the Carolinas before moving north along the East Coast. Northern Virginia was especially hard-hit, forcing one Fairfax County neighborhood to evacuate, according to The Washington Post. Reagan National Airport received 3.9 inches of rain and recorded wind speeds of 33 miles per hour, six below the minimum for a tropical storm.

The storm was blamed for four deaths, three in the Richmond, Va., area and one in Prince George’s County, Md., where a driver lost control of his car and crashed into a highway median.