Schoolwide competition will not launch this fall

<!– ORIGINAL LEDE

The University scrapped the launch of a schoolwide competition it had planned to implement this fall.

–>

Correction appended

The University delayed the launch of a schoolwide competition it had planned to implement at the start of this semester.

Olympathon, a community-building initiative between underclassmen and upperclassmen, has not launched because the University has “not finalized an exact action plan yet,” said Peter Konwerski, assistant vice president for Student and Academic Support Services.

Until the program begins, the University will continue existing programs to promote campus events and work to develop long-term projects that encourage students to attend University programming.

“There is a similar, campus-wide effort to prioritize programs like Olympathon among others in the next five years, to best build campus community using the strength of existing programs which already take place for students, staff, faculty and alumni,” Konwerski wrote in an e-mail.

Konwerski and other SASS administrators said they will continue to address community-building issues on campus once they secure additional structure, support and funding sources. He said acquiring these resources could take three to five years.

This article has been changed to reflect the following correction: (September 11, 2008)

The Hatchet mischaracterized the status of the Olympathon initiative, saying that the University had no plans to implement the program this year. Administrators said they hope to implement elements of the program in conjunction with campus partners and students by October.