Student Showcase highlights on-campus performance groups

Student performing arts groups have banded together to produce next week’s Labor Day Student Showcase, a first-of-its-kind event that will kick off the year for a wide range of arts programs.

The showcase, which takes place this Monday, will feature performances by a capella, dance, theater, comedy and other arts groups. Organizers said they hope the free event will become an annual tradition for GW’s creative community.

“I want this to be an event that really highlights the arts at GW and the talent we have here on campus,” said Molly Kastendieck, coordinator for student involvement with the Student Activities Center, in an e-mail. “Welcome Week is a program that offers something for everyone and the Labor Day Student Showcase is a piece of that.”

The performances will begin at 8 p.m. in the Marvin Center’s Betts Theater, followed by a dessert reception in Columbian Square for students to meet participants and learn more about the different groups.

Kastendieck said she started working on the project in June with Natalie Kaplan, president of The Link, a student organization promoting arts on campus. The showcase was initially conceived as just an open house for students to receive information about performing arts groups, but it eventually evolved into a larger event with performances.

Some of the groups scheduled to perform include: the Sons of Pitch, G-Durban Music Association, Balance: The GW Ballet Group, The GW Pitches, The Generic Theatre Company, receSs, GW Troubadours, Forbidden Planet Productions and Capital Funk. Solo performers include Elizabeth Acevedo, Eric Walker and the Miller Band.