Healthy Living: How to Stay Active

With fall just around the corner, it’s easy to forget about the intense workout routine you used to stay fit for the beach. But the arrival of cold weather doesn’t mean you have to hibernate. In addition to increased confidence, working out regularly will boost your immune system, improve your mood and decrease feelings of stress and fatigue. So on those days when you are less than enthusiastic to get to the gym, follow these tips to not only maximize your fitness but also your quality of life.

Get a free fitness assessment and free equipment orientation

The free fitness assessment offered by the Lerner Health and Wellness Center is a fantastic resource for students looking to begin a fitness program. The assessment will measure your cardio and strength levels, and an additional free Body Mass Index test will compare your weight and with your height. Combined, these will enable you to identify your strengths and those areas that need more work. At the end of the assessment, you will be provided with a printout of your results that you can take to a personal trainer to be used in creating a program tailored to your specific needs. HellWell also offers a free equipment orientation for people who are new to the gym or just unsure of how to operate any of the equipment.

Purchase a group fitness pass

On days when just making it to the gym seems like an accomplishment, you should consider taking a group fitness class. Erin Maguire, the assistant director of fitness at the Health and Wellness Center, said the group fitness classes became so popular last year that they reached capacity. A number of new classes have been added to the schedule, including a boot camp class and Zumba, a choreographed Latin dance class. The first week of classes are free and a full fitness pass is $71.75 for the semester (which can be purchased with GWorld). Extreme training classes will also be offered for free throughout the entire semester. These classes, taught by certified personal trainers, provide a sports team-style workout that includes circuits, drills and Bosu ball exercises.

Meet with a personal trainer and nutritionist

For a reasonable price, the certified personal trainers at HellWell will create a unique program focused on your individual fitness goals. “At the average gym you can pay upwards of $100.00 per session,” Maguire said. “We’re not trying to make a profit here. This is a student service.” The gym also has a registered dietician on staff. Services include a free 30-minute nutrition consultation and affordable dietary analysis sessions. You can also arrange for grocery store tours with the dietician and personalized shopping lists.

Get a massage

After a long week of strenuous work in the gym, at work and in the classroom, treat your muscles to massage therapy. HellWell offers a variety of inexpensive treatments and packages. All massages are performed by certified massage therapy students.

Take an exercise course for credit

Though it won’t count toward graduation, the one credit earned from exercise courses – which range from cardio kickboxing to fitness swimming to racquetball – can help boost your GPA (if you get an A!). Courses can be signed up through the GWeb system under”exercise and sport activities.”