Healthy Living: How to Eat Healthy

No matter what year you are in college, eating healthy can pose a challenge. Luckily, there are variety of options on campus (and GWorld) that allow you to eat well without completely breaking the bank!

Pita Pit

Pita Pit is very quick and convenient, but it can hardly be classified as fast food. After all, each sandwich is packed with fresh ingredients that are shipped in every day. The pitas are prepared in front of the customer and nothing at the venue is fried. They also offer fat-free dressings and just added whole-wheat pitas to the menu. Best of all, Pita Pit is open until 2 a.m. every night of the week and delivers.

Lower level of Ivory Tower, 23rd and G sts., N.W.

Juice Zone

Juice Zone is the ideal destination for a quick, healthy post-workout snack or pre-class energizer. With a wide selection of smoothies, wraps, salads and nutrition bars, you can satisfy a small craving or enjoy a full meal. Try a wheatgrass shot and get a picture of your reaction posted on their bulletin board!

In HellWell, 2301 G St., N.W.

Safeway

Eating out can be convenient when on the run, but purchasing every meal adds up. Save money by stocking up on groceries and packing snacks and meals when you are too busy to cook. Safeway offers a wide selection of healthy options, including their “Eating Right” brand of foods.

Watergate Safeway, 2550 Virginia Ave., N.W.

Java Green

While Java Green is truly a vegetarian/vegan’s paradise, their extensive menu includes something for everyone. The menu is nearly 100 percent organic and includes wraps, salads, sandwiches, rice and noodle bowls and soups. Java Green also offers delicious desserts brought in from Sticky Fingers, an award-winning vegan bakery. There is also a vegan brunch Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.

1020 19th Street, N.W.

Washington Deli

This corner deli packs an extensive menu including fresh-from-the-oven pizza, subs packed with organic ingredients and healthy snack choices. Washington Deli is also vegetarian and vegan-friendly with their delicious veggie soy cheese pizza, “meatball” sub, coleslaw and potato salad made with “veganaise.” You can also look forward to the chopped salad bar that will be available this fall.

1990 K St, N.W.

Soho Tea and Coffee

Escape the monotony of Gelman and go study at this small coffee shop off Dupont Circle. They have delicious sandwiches and the best frozen chai in the city. SoHo has a number of vegetarian options and healthy snack food for small munching. If you need any more incentive, they are currently offering a 5 percent discount for students with their school ID and free wireless with a minimum $5 purchase.

1901 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.

One Fish, Two Fish

If you want a healthy place to eat out, One Fish Two Fish is a great choice that is also on GWorld. There are a number of light Japanese and Chinese dishes in addition to delicious, fresh sushi. If you prefer staying in, they provide delivery service to the dorms.

2421 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.