Update: Man falls from GW Hospital ledge, sustains serious injuries

The unidentified male paces on a GW Hospital ledge. An hour and a half later, he fell and sustained serious injuries. The man, whose name and condition is not available, was on the ledge for more than four hours. Andrew Nacin/Hatchet photographer

The Hatchet has published an article with more information.

Update, 4:48 p.m. Metropolitan Police Department Lieutenant Jimmie Riley said the man partially hit the ground when falling and was breathing when they took him inside the hospital with serious injuries. The man had been hanging off the ledge, and officers set up the mat while trying to negotiate with him.

Emergency personnel stationed on the roof prepare to rappel down to rescue the potential jumper. Andrew Nacin/Hatchet photographer

Riley said the man, a black male whose name is not yet available, checked in yesterday after being injured in a car accident.

Update, 4:08 p.m. The male jumped fell onto an inflatable mat. There is no status on his condition.

End Update.

A man exited a GW Hospital window around noon today and is threatening to jump from a ledge overlooking New Hampshire Avenue.

He is wearing boxer shorts and his arms are bandaged. More than 30 D.C. police and fire department vehicles are on the scene blocking off many of the streets surrounding the hospital. Stay with The Hatchet for more news as it develops.

Hadas Gold contributed to this report.