Sex Column: Advice you’ll never get from mom and dad

College is a great time to try new things, meet different people, and discover more about yourself. In preparation for this whirlwind experience, I wanted to disclose a few things I have learned during my time at GW. I guarantee mom and dad’s move-in day advice won’t be anything like this.

This may be your first time sharing a room. Respect your roommates by not hooking up when they are there – even if you think they are asleep. Coordinate schedules and make sure you all honor the arrangements. My freshman year I lived with three girls in a small Thurston quad. My bed was in the corner and I had a screen up for some privacy, luckily. One Saturday, my boyfriend and I were completely naked and fooling around when we heard a key turn in the lock. We dove under the covers just soon enough to see one of my roommates walk in with her dad and stayed there until they left. I still don’t know if they knew we were there, but it was the most embarrassing 30 minutes of my life, and a mood killer. So please, for the sake of your sex life, have a signal; put a ribbon on the door, anything to show the room is occupied. Even better, meet an upperclassman that has a single bedroom and go there.

Always use a condom. I know it’s old news, but just do it. I have a friend who takes birth control and stopped using condoms to “see what it feels like.” So far she has been lucky, but I don’t want to be the one to take her to Planned Parenthood. The abortion clinics in D.C. have the most protesters because of their location – you don’t want to be harassed while taking care of an unplanned situation. If you have a late night need and you’re out of supplies, you can hit up D.C. Snacks. You get free condoms with every purchase.

In the wise words of Seth Rogan of “Knocked Up,” don’t drink and bone. A little bit of bubbly never hurt anyone’s libido, but girls, don’t go home with the guy you’ve been taking shots with all night. Get a number and call later. And guys, too much to drink will seriously hurt your game. You don’t want to be known as the freshman who couldn’t get it up.

Don’t have sex on the living room couch of a frat house during a party. In fact, be extremely careful about having sex in a frat house period. You never know where there are cameras, and I can guarantee someone is always watching. Also, don’t make out with a pledge in front of a frat house unless you want to hear cheering from the brothers in the background. Choose location wisely: there are only so many streets to take if you want to avoid returning to the scene of a crime.

Hooking up in bathrooms is never OK. If you wouldn’t want to touch it, don’t have sex on it. However, if your roommates are home and you need to get it on, the shower is a suitable alternative. Bring body wash for good clean fun, and use your imagination. I know you have it in you.

Guys, don’t text a girl you hooked up with a month later for round two. Chances are she’s moved on to bigger and better and isn’t interested in you anymore. Regardless of your intentions, call back within two weeks. After that, she’s moving on.

If it’s red and itchy, go to the doctor. Student Health Service has seen worse and it’s never OK to leave something untreated. I know its uncomfortable, but you don’t want to sit on the bench too long; get tested and get your head back in the game. Plus, they have free condoms.

College is a great time to try new things. Ask your girl to bring over a copy of Cosmopolitan. There’s always a list of 100 things you’ve never tried or even thought existed. If you’re feeling really adventurous, pick up the Kama Sutra and learn about ancient civilizations. Girls, I know it’s been a while since high school cheerleading, but I promise your flexibility will return.

With all this new learning, don’t forget about studying! Give yourself goals and reward yourself for doing well. Guys, don’t get discouraged. Every girl has different needs. If something tried and true lets you down, pay more attention in anatomy or discover it for yourself… you will be rewarded for your findings.

Study a lot, play harder and welcome to GW!

This article has been edited to reflect the correct spelling of “Kama Sutra.”