SEAS: GW trustee calls engineers “heroes”

Graduates of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences were recognized as “heroes” at the school’s graduation ceremony Saturday night in the Smith Center.

Keynote speaker Mark Hughes, former president of System and Network Solutions Group Science Applications International Corporation, said SEAS granted the graduates with great skills to make a difference in the world and fight problems like poor medical care, pollution and poverty.

“You will be the world’s heroes if you use your skills to help solve some of these important problems,” said Hughes, who also serves on the GW Board of Trustees. “The world needs your expertise.”

Student speaker Faezeh Razjouyan, who is from Iran, said SEAS graduates possess the traits of superheroes.

“GW engineering have provided us with the tools and the right mindset to go out, explore the world and make a difference in someone’s life,” Razjouyan said.

SEAS Dean Timothy Tong, who is departing GW to become the president of Hong Kong Polytechnic University, shared his formula for success with the graduates.

“Skill plus passion plus flexibility plus integrity equals success in engineering,” Tong said. “To be a success, you need to use your engineering skills to make the world a better place.”

Many of the graduates said they were happy to be done with their grueling studies in engineering and applied sciences.

“It is nice to be finally finished,” said SEAS graduate Ben Rosenfeld. “We worked hard, and it is nice to be acknowledged.”