School of Medicine: Provost welcomes graduates into medical community

Graduates at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences graduation ceremony were warned not to strain their muscles in any self-congratulatory accolades Saturday afternoon in Lisner Auditorium.

University Provost John “Skip” Williams told graduates at the School of Medicine and Health Services that they have worked hard during their time at GW, but should be careful in celebrating their accomplishments.

“You can and should pat yourself on the back, but don’t strain any muscles unless you have friends that are (physical therapists),” Williams said.

He said the graduates from the class of 2008 embody the ideals of the medical school.

“Your faces reflect the spirit of independence that is the strength and the excellence of the health sciences programs,” Williams said. “You have chosen a career that will be about service.”

He added, “You will serve human beings who want to be whole and well and healed.”

Marijke Geldenhuys, who received a student award, told the graduates about her experiences with GW while working on her master’s in the clinical research administration program from her home in South Africa. She said the hard work was worth it.

“My mind broadened, my academic skills blossomed and my understanding of my life’s vision deepened,” she said.

Geldenhuys was one of many students who had completed their medical degrees through distance learning programs.

“It was my first time to campus,” said graduate Rachel Vaughan, a Boston resident, after the event. “It was surreal.”