School of Business: Corporate consultant addresses undergrads

Erika Muhlberg had to hear some words of wisdom from her mother at the School of Business graduation ceremony Friday in the Smith Center – whether she wanted to or not.

Judith Muhlberg, a consultant for Gagen MacDonald and mother of marketing major Erika, gave the keynote address at the ceremony.

“When I was first asked to speak at this ceremony, I knew I wouldn’t have a scheduling conflict,” Muhlberg said to the 382 graduates and their families. “I also knew this would be a good time to impart some modest advice to Erika in a situation where she would not likely be able to leave the room.”

Karyn Shapiro, the undergraduate student speaker, discussed why she transferred from Lafayette University during the second semester of her freshman year.

“I wanted to leave my isolated bubble,” she said. “GW allowed me to expand my horizons and experience positive change.”

School of Business Dean Susan Phillips thanked the graduates for their commitment to maintaining the school’s rank in the top 50 undergraduate business schools for eight consecutive years.

“You will be expected to improve upon the knowledge you developed in school,” Phillips said. “Maintain an appetite for lifelong learning and make a continual investment in yourself.”

Kirk Haldeman, recipient of the Outstanding Bachelor of Business Administration Award, was conflicted between enjoying his last weekend in college and spending time with his family.

“Today I was my mom’s favorite,” Haldeman said. “I am looking forward to spending time with friends and family, but I feel terrible about graduating.”